Winter is Upon Us!
CARP DISCOUNT PARTNER SPONSORED CONTENT
Planning to hit the slopes for your next vacation? Read on for some helpful hints on how to maximize the fun (and minimize the costs) on your vacation.
1. If you’re not planning to bring your own skis/snowboards, check with your resort or nearby ski shops about equipment rentals. Are you traveling during peak times, like over the holidays or during a school break? It’s worth it to be the early bird and reserve well in advance.
2. Take some time to find out what non-skiing options are available at your resort, the mountain, or nearby. Chances are you might not want to ski or snowboard every day. Other fun winter ideas like ice skating, snow tubing, or even gondola rides will keep you entertained, while still enjoying the great outdoors.
3. If the family is new to skiing or snowboarding – or if you feel you need a refresher yourself – ask about lessons. Most mountains offer multiple lesson options, so you should be able to find one that fits with your needs.
4. If you and your group are going your separate ways, decide on a meeting time and place for lunch or group breaks. Even though texting seems like it might be easier, you won’t be checking your phone as frequently – and when you are, texting back while wearing ski gloves is obviously a tough task.
5. Après-ski at the lodge or local bar-and-grills could be crowded and expensive. Why not bring après-ski back to your resort rental? Throw together a quick spread of cheese and crackers, chips and dip, and any other easy bites in your kitchen and get cozy in your unit’s living room.
6. Speaking of your rental unit, don’t forget about your rental’s washer and dryer! You can pack less knowing you can wash your family’s base layers together every night.
7. A day or two away from the slopes during your ski vacation is important. It’s important to get some much needed R&R to help stave off sickness and exhaustion that could potentially lead to injuries.
8. And don’t forget to enjoy the beautiful scenery. It’s easy to be distracted by all the skiers around you and the activities of the day, but take a moment to appreciate the stunning backdrop of the white snow and green trees.
Want to escape the cold? Plan a vacation to have a beach vacation that you deserve! Here’s a few things you should keep in mind to make it even more relaxing. Read ahead for our tips on how to help make your vacation at the beach one of the best ones yet.
1. Many resorts offer water sport rentals, like snorkeling, kayaking, and stand up paddle boarding. Check the resort website before you arrive to see what’s available and if any advance reservations are needed.
2. Think about investing in a waterproof case for your phone or tablet to keep it safe while surfing the web or listening to music. If you don’t want to invest in a new case, bring along a zipped sandwich bag to help keep your phone safe from water and sand while it is stashed in your beach bag.
3. You may be headed to a beach resort with the comforts of home, but that doesn’t mean you have to take your home with you. Many items can be purchased during a quick visit to the grocery store, either right before or after you check in. This includes beach vacation staples like sun screen, sand toys, and aloe.
4. Speaking of aloe, keep this in the refrigerator in your unit to keep it chilled. This should help reduce the pain when applying to your sunburn.
5. Stock up on bottles of water, throw them in your kitchen freezer, and take some before you hit the sand. It will melt throughout the day, but should stay cool enough in the morning hours to help quench your thirst.
6. You should also consider the magic of baby powder. Yes, it smells nice and clean, but it also is great at taking sand off your legs and feet – just shake some baby powder on and wipe away. Now you won’t have to worry about tracking sand back into your unit.
7. The early bird catches the worm! Depending on the resort you are staying at, beach chairs may fill up quickly. Get there early to secure your desired spot in the sun or shade and enjoy some downtime before “rush hour” starts.
Go Big! Go TripBeat!
Join for Free: tripbeat.com/mbp/carp/account/register
Haven’t found you perfect resort match? Our experienced, dedicated travel guides are here to help, call us at 877.367.6433!
CARP Members save up to 40%* on 7-night vacation rentals worldwide.
*See website for details. Discount applicable on Select Preferred & Getaways. No bedroom type restrictions. No promo codes allowed in combination.