Strawberry fields are forever so whip up these recipes – they’re sure to be amongst your greatest hits!
1. Strawberry Salad with Sugared Almonds
Some people believe strawberries are an aphrodisiac, others, that almonds bring good fortune. So get lucky with our “perfect bite” – a fork crammed with crisp lettuce, scarlet strawberries and sugared almonds, all coated in a sweet-and-sour poppy seed dressing.
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp water
3/4 cup slivered almonds
Poppy Seed Dressing
2. Strawberry-Stuffed French Toast
Don’t be put off by the word “soufflé.” There’s nothing complicated or intimidating about this amazingly delicious and impressive brunch dish – all you have to do is sleep on it. Yes, sleep on it. This easy overnight French toast does all the work for you, as the sweet egg bread, mounded with cream cheese and strawberry jam, is left to soak up a buttery mixture. When you wake, you bake this soufflé and ta-dah, a sweeter dream was never had!
2 egg breads (challahs), crusts removed and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
1 cup cream cheese
1 cup strawberry jam
3 large eggs
4 large egg whites
1½ cups milk
2 tbsp melted butter
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp kosher salt
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
¼ cup orange juice
3 cups frozen unsweetened berries, either mixed, blueberries or raspberries
3 cups strawberries, quartered
1) For the soufflé, coat a 13×9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Lay a single layer of bread slices along the bottom of the dish. Spread cream cheese on each piece. Spread strawberry jam on the remaining slices and lay to face cream cheese, creating sandwiches in the baking dish.
2) In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites, milk, melted butter, sugar, vanilla and salt. Pour over sandwiches and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or, for best results, overnight. Bring to room temperature before baking.
3) Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes.
4) For the berry sauce, in a medium saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in orange juice until smooth. Add frozen mixed berries and heat to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly until slightly thickened. Remove from heat and stir in fresh strawberries. Allow to cool and serve berry sauce spooned over individual portions.
3. Strawberry Coconut Layer Cake
We all know the importance of adding fruit to our diets, so it’s with great excitement that we give you this delicious dessert.
Fresh strawberries (yes, there’s your fruit for the day) are nestled between layers of moist, lemony (fruit!) vanilla cake, creamy vanilla frosting and all coated in shredded coconut (aha…another fruit!). Don’t thank us…we do what we can to help you maintain a balanced diet.
2½ cups sifted cake flour
1 tbsp baking powder
¾ tsp kosher salt
1¾ cups sugar
¾ cups butter, room temperature
4 egg whites
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon zest
¾ cups buttermilk
1 cup butter, room temperature
6 cups icing sugar
Pinch kosher salt
4 tbsp whole milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract
6 tbsp strawberry jam
2¼ cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
1½ cups shredded coconut, to garnish cake
1) For the cake, preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat two 8-inch round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray.
2) In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. Using an electric mixer, cream sugar and butter on medium speed, until light and fluffy. Beat in egg whites a little at a time. Mix in vanilla extract and lemon zest. Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk to the mixer, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix just until combined. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans and bake 25-28 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool cakes completely before frosting.
3) For the frosting, in an electric mixer, beat butter, icing sugar, salt, milk and vanilla extract on low speed to combine. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and continue to beat on medium speed, until it’s a smooth and creamy consistency.
4) To assemble the cake, slice each cake layer in half to make 4 layers. Place 1 layer on a serving plate and spread with 2 tablespoons of strawberry jam. Spread ½ cup frosting over the jam and arrange ¾ cup sliced strawberries in a single layer over frosting. Top with the second layer and repeat with the 2 tablespoons of jam, ½ cup of frosting and ¾ cup sliced strawberries. Top with the third cake layer and again repeat with the jam, frosting and sliced strawberries. Top with final cake layer and spread remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake. Coat the top and sides with the shredded coconut to garnish the cake. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
4. Easy Strawberry & Apple Crisp
This apple and strawberry crisp recipe is the best – not only does it serve up a delicious dessert of cinnamon apples and sweet strawberries tucked under a thick and extra-crunchy oat topping, but it also is the easiest, most foolproof dessert recipe around.
6 cups peeled and cubed Granny Smith apples
2 cups halved strawberries
1/4 cup sugar
½ tsp ground cinnamon
Oat Crumble Topping
1½ cups large flake oats
1½ cups flour
1½ cups packed brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup margarine
1) Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat an 11×7-inch baking dish with non- stick cooking spray.
2) In a large bowl, toss apples, strawberries, sugar and cinnamon. Place in prepared baking dish.
3) For the topping, in a large bowl, mix oats, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon. Add margarine, mixing with a fork until crumbly. Sprinkle over fruit.
4) Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. Loosely cover crisp with aluminum foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.