Easter entertaining with tantalizing desserts
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 to 45 minutes
Yield: 12 bars
6 tablespoons butter OR margarine, room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter OR margarine, melted
3 tablespoons Crown Golden no-high fructose corn syrup
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon OR orange peel (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C.
2. For Crust: Beat butter and sugar together in a large bowl at medium speed of mixer until creamy. Add flour and salt; mix on low speed until blended. Spread dough evenly into bottom of a greased 8-inch/20 cm square baking pan. Bake 15 to 20 minutes until crust is golden.
3. For Filling: Beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl at medium speed. Beat in butter, corn syrup, flour, buttermilk, vanilla, and lemon peel if desired, until mixture is smooth. Pour filling over baked crust.
4. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until edges just begin to brown and filling is set. Cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and cut into bars.
5. Note: Recipe can be doubled and baked in a 13 x 9-inch/33 x 23 cm baking pan. Bake time may vary by a few minutes, so watch carefully.
Next: Pecan Pie Bars
Pecan Pie Bars
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Yield: 48 bars
2-1/2 cups flour
1 cup butter OR margarine, cut into pieces
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 Crown Golden no-high fructose corn syrup
1-1/2 cups sugar
3 tablespoons butter OR margarine, melted
1-1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2-1/2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
For CRUST: Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C. Mix flour, butter, powdered sugar, and salt with an electric mixer until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press firmly and evenly into a greased jelly roll pan (15 x 10 inches/38 x 25 cm).
Bake 20 minutes until golden brown.
For FILLING: Beat eggs, corn syrup, sugar, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl until well blended. Stir in pecans.
Pour over hot crust; spread evenly.
Bake 25 minutes at 350°F/180°C until filling is firm around the edges and slightly firm in center. Cool completely on wire rack before serving.
Additional recipes are available online at www.achfood.ca.
Have you tried this recipe or have a cooking tip for other readers? Share it in the comments below.
More Easter ideas:
Easter meals done right
Easter fun at home
Ham, Asparagus and Cheese Strata
Plus see what else is cooking in our in recipes archive.