Bacon-Wrapped Jumbo Shrimp Stuffed with Crab
8 jumbo shrimp (8/10 count), peeled and deveined with tail left intact
8 oz (250 g) canned crabmeat
1/2 white onion, finely diced
1/2 sweet red pepper, seeded and finely diced
1/2 bunch green onions (green parts only), thinly sliced
4 tsp (10 mL) panko breadcrumbs
2 tsp (10 mL) mayonnaise
2 tsp (10 mL) fresh lemon juice
1 tsp (5 mL) Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp (2 mL) finely chopped garlic
1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot sauce
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
8 slices bacon
1 untreated cedar plank, soaked in water for at least 2 hours
Dark rum glaze
1/2 cup (125 ml) dark rum
1/2 cup (125 ml) apple juice
1/4 Cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice
THE RAINFORD METHOD
1. With a small, sharp knife, make an incision in the back of each shrimp, being careful not to cut all the way through. Open each shrimp like a book.
2. For the stuffing, mix together the crab, white onion, red pepper, green onions, breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, hot sauce, and Salt and pepper to taste in a bowl.
3. Spoon crab mixture into the incision in each shrimp, being careful not to overfill them.
4. Roll each shrimp in a slice of bacon to form a cylinder shape, then chill in The refrigerator for at least 1 hour or until firm. Tip: use plastic wrap to help shape of the shrimp once you have rolled them in the bacon.
5. Fire up your charcoal or preheat your gas grill. You need a medium-high grilling temp Of around 350°F (180°C). Prep the grill for cooking over direct heat.
6. To make the glaze, place the rum, apple juice and lemon juice in a small saucepan and Simmer over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes or until the mixture has reduced and reaches a glaze consistency.
7. Place the cedar plank on the grill until it starts to crackle. This will take 10 to 12 minutes.
8. Place the shrimp on the cedar plank. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until the bacon is crisp. Brush with the dark rum glaze for the last 3 minutes of cooking.
Makes 8 servings
Excerpted from Rob Rainford’s Born to Grill. Copyright © 2012 by Rob Rainford. Photographs Copyright © 2012 by Mike McColl. Excerpted by permission of Appetite by Random House, a division of Random House of Canada, Limited. All rights reserved.