Mushroom Walnut Pesto Tart
Required utensils: Food processor, skillet, baking sheet
2 garlic cloves
20 oz (~1.25 lb) sliced crimini mushrooms, divided
2/3 cup toasted chopped walnuts, divided
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp water
1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley
1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
1/2-3/4 tsp kosher salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
7-8 Phyllo Pastry sheets
Extra virgin olive oil, for brushing sheets
1 red onion, sliced into long strands
Remaining crimini mushrooms
Fresh parsley, to garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Thaw Phyllo dough according to package directions.
2. In a large skillet, sauté the sliced red onion in 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-low heat. Stir often for about 30 minutes. In another skillet, sauté the sliced mushrooms in 1-2 tsp olive oil for about 20 minutes or until the water cooks out.
3. With the food processor running, drop 2 peeled garlic cloves in and process until chopped. Add in 1 cup (saving the rest for the tart) sautéed mushrooms, olive oil, and water and process until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary. Now add in the rest of the ingredients (using only 1/3 cup walnuts) and process until smooth. Stir in remaining 1/3 cup walnuts. Adjust seasonings to taste.
4. Place 1 sheet of Phyllo dough onto prepared baking sheet. Brush or spray on oil. Repeat for 7 layers. Carefully fold each side inward to form a crust. With a fork, poke lots of holes all over the phyllo to allow air to escape. You can also weigh it down with pie weights. Bake at 350F for about 18-20 mins until golden.
5. After cooling the phyllo for 5 mins, carefully spread on all of the pesto, top with the remaining mushrooms and onion. Garnish with fresh parsley leaves. Cut into squares and serve immediately.
More delicious recipes are available on the Mushrooms Canada website at www.mushrooms.ca.
Angela Liddon is the writer and vegan recipe developer for her healthy living website, Oh She Glows.
More for mushroom lovers:
Mixed Mushroom and Spinach Tortilla
Get perfectly cooked mushrooms every time
Plus see what else is cooking in our in recipes archive.