RECIPE: Parmesan Chicken Fingers with Dipping Trio
“All children, except one, grow up.” J.M. Barrie didn’t know me when he wrote the opening line of his 1904 play Peter Pan. I don’t wear green tights, but I do have Tinker Bell (aka Lisa) fluttering over my shoulder, telling me what to do. She doesn’t like it when I go out with a wet head, hides her face as I dig for my Shirley Temple maraschino and cringes when I order off the kids’ menu. Methinks she’s trying to hide me at home, creating these crunchy, golden-brown chicken fingers coated in a Parmesan-panko crust. Easy and family friendly, the baked strips are serves up with a trio of delectable dipping sauces: honey mustard, creamy Parmesan and sweet ketchup. Tink really sprinkled her fairy dust on this one.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 large eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
Honey Mustard Dip
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp freshly ground Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of kosher salt
Sweet Ketchup Dip
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- For the chicken fingers, preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with non-stick cooking spray. Cut each chicken breast into 4 or 5 lengthwise strips. Place eggs in a medium bowl. In another bowl, combine Parmesan, panko, oregano, salt, pepper and paprika. Dip chicken pieces in eggs, letting any excess drip off, then dredge in Parmesan-panko mixture, pressing to adhere. Place on prepared baking sheet. Drizzle chicken strips with melted butter and bake 8 minutes. Flip the strips and bake for another 8 minutes, until cooked through and crisp on the outside.
- For the honey mustard dip, in a small bowl, whisk mayonnaise Dijon and honey until combined.
- For the Parmesan dip, in a small bowl, whisk Parmesan, mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, garlic powder and a pinch of salt until combined.
- For the ketchup dip, in a small bowl, combine ketchup, honey and Worcestershire sauce. All dips can be made ahead and refrigerated until ready to serve.
Authors of bestselling cookbooks Bite Me and Bite Me Too, saucy sisters Julie Albert and Lisa Gnat love eating, feeding, entertaining and dishing up easy recipes and forkin’ fun at BiteMeMore.com.