Celebs Get Naked on the Red Carpet
Dare to bare. Here, sheer gowns throughout the ages.
One of the biggest trends at red carpet events this year – from Vanity Fair’s Oscar party to the MET Gala – was an array of sheer gowns. With their finely toned bodies, celebrities of varying ages are putting it all out on display in see-through gowns that left nothing to the imagination.
Many viewers, appalled at this flagrant display, were left longing for yesteryear when a woman left something to the imagination.
But gossamer-thin outfits that reveal what lies beneath is not a fashion trend adopted by today’s celebrities. The dare-to-bare look is not a modern-day invention but has been around for quite a while now and has always ignited shock waves.
We look back at some of these head-turning looks through out the years.
2. Gerda Grau, a dancer in Germany, in a translucent dress, photographed around 1939
3. American actress Carroll Baker at the Plaza Theater in London for the premiere of her film, The Carpetbaggers, circa 1964
4. Fashion model Donyale Luna models a crochet see-through dress in a shopping mall fashion show in 1967
5. Model Kalio wearing a Zandra Rhodes creation in a fashion show in 1971
6. Barbra Streisand in the outfit she wore to accept her Best Actress award for Funny Girl in 1969
7. Cher in a Bob Mackie-designed gown at the MET ball in 1974
8. Diana Ross in a diaphanous floral dress, circa 1975
9. Cher in a Bob Mackie-designed gown at the 60th Academy Awards where she won the Best Actress award for Moonstruck
10. Kate Moss at the Elite Model Agency party for the Look of the Year Contest in London in 1993
11. Rose McGowan at the 1998 MTV Music Awards
12. Jennifer Lopez in Versace at the Grammy Awards in 2000