Q&A With Gordon Pape: U.S. Stocks And The Tax Man

How can we know which U.S. stocks are exempt from withholding tax in RRSPs?

Q – Is there a simple way to know which U.S. stocks will tax dividends paid into a Canadian RRSP? – Paul P.

A – If the company is a corporation based in the U.S., dividends paid to a Canadian RRSP will not be subject to withholding tax. However, if it is structured as an ADR (offshore companies) or as a master limited partnership, different tax rules apply. Check with your broker before you buy. – G.P.

Do you have a money question you’d like to ask Gordon? Find out how to submit it here and then check out our Money section regularly to see if it was chosen for a response. Sorry, we cannot send personal answers.