Q&A: Saving Taxes

Facing big capital gains tax bill, this couple looks for ways to keep more of their profits.


Q – My husband and I have capital gains of $80,000 between us. Does it make sense to buy RRSPs to offset income tax? We have $40,000 in contribution room available. We are both 66 years old and retired. – Mary A.


A – Investing some of your profits in an RRSP would certainly cut your capital gains tax bill. In fact, given your contribution room, it would probably eliminate it entirely since 50% of your gains are tax-exempt. All future profits would be tax-free until the money is withdrawn, at which time you’d pay full rate.


Do you have a money question you’d like to ask Gordon? Find out how to submit it here and then check out our Money section regularly to see if it was chosen for a response. Sorry, we cannot send personal answers.