The Rickard’s Cottage Burger
(NC)—Nothing beats the thrill of firing up the grill for the first time when the warm weather hits. In partnership with Broil King, Rickard’s has created this mouth–watering burger recipe to ensure your summer gets off to a good start.
1 1/2 lbs ground beef, preferably chuck
4 hamburger buns
1 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 can of warm Rickard’s Red beer
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
Six steps to a tender, juicy burger:
1. Combine the brown sugar and Rickard’s Red beer with the BBQ sauce in a saucepan and heat to boil. Reduce to low to simmer.
2. Season the beef with salt and pepper and divide into four equal portions. Gently shape into patties similar in shape and size to the buns you will be serving.
3. Place patties in fridge for 15–20 minutes, this will help keep patties together when grilling. When ready to grill, use your thumb to create an indent in the centre of each patty on one side. This will help keep your patties flat and not round up like large meatballs!
4. Preheat barbecue on HIGH, and oil the grids generously to avoid sticking. Place the patties on the grill, and reduce heat to medium.
5. Grill approximately six minutes per side, taking care not to press down on the meat (unless you have a thing against juicy burgers).
6. Serve with your Rickard’s Red BBQ sauce.
For more beer–inspired recipes visit www.rickards.ca.
More great ideas for the grill:
Plus see what else is cooking in our in recipes archive.