Holiday air travel tips
Air travel can be trying at the best of times, but the holiday season is probably the worst time in the entire year to fly. But fly we must. Make your trip as safe and pleasant as possible by considering the following tips:
- Passengers should travel with valid photo identification and keep the I.D. with them at all times.
- Never accept any item from a stranger, or carry any package of which you don’t know the contents.
- Luggage should not be left unattended or under the guard of strangers.
- Keep carry-on baggage to a minimum. Heavy passenger loads may limit overhead bin and under-seat storage capacity. Check with your airline> > reservations department for specific requirements.
- Ship gifts ahead of time to reduce your baggage while traveling. If you must carry gifts, do not wrap them until after your flight, as they may be subject to search.
- Consider using public transportation to the airport, to ease traffic and parking congestion. When driving to the airport, leave early to ensure enough time to find parking, check in luggage and go through the increased security screening.
- Prepare yourself for t effects of flight by getting a good night’s sleep, eating a light meal before your trip and drinking plenty of water and fruit juices, before and during a long flight, to prevent dehydration.
- Don’t pack hazardous materials (matches, lighters or flammable liquids) in luggage, as these items may ignite or leak, due to variations in temperature and air pressure during the flight.