Celebrate Canada’s Multicultural Food Scene With These Dishes from Celeb Chef Lynn Crawford
Korean Fried Chicken Sandwich with Spicy Chili Aioli and Kimchi Slaw. Photos courtesy Lynn Crawford
The breadth of fresh in-season ingredients available to Canadians is one of the many gifts of our country’s cuisine. Here, recipes to please any foodie from Chef Lynn Crawford.
1. Rice Noodle Salad with Grilled Steak and Harrisa Ginger Dressing
• 3 Tbsp. (45mL) fresh lemon juice
• 3 Tbsp. (45mL) soy sauce
• 2 Tbsp. (30mL) tahini
• 1 tsp. (5mL) sugar
• 1 tsp. (5mL) finely grated peeled ginger
• 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
• ½ cup (125mL) President’s Choice® Liquid Coconut Oil
• 1-2 tsp. (5-10mL) toasted sesame oil
• 8 oz. (250g) President’s Choice® Rice Stick Noodles
• 12 oz. (350g) thinly sliced grilled boneless sirloin steak
• 1 small kohlrabi, peeled, cut into matchsticks
• 3 scallions, thinly sliced
• 2 cups (500mL) thinly sliced Napa cabbage
• 1 cup (250mL) cilantro leaves with tender stems
• ¼ cup (60mL) crushed salted, roasted cashews
• 2 tsp. (10mL) President’s Choice® Black Label Harissa Spice Blend
• Whisk lemon juice, soy sauce, tahini, sugar, ginger, and garlic in a small bowl to combine. Gradually add vegetable oil followed by sesame oil, whisking constantly until emulsified; set aside.
• Cook noodles in a large saucepan of boiling salted water according to package instructions until al dente. Drain; rinse under cold water, then drain again.
• Toss noodles, steak, kohlrabi, scallions, cabbage, and cilantro in a large bowl with three-quarters of reserved dressing to combine and evenly coat; season with salt. Top with cashews and Harrisa spice and drizzle remaining dressing over.
• Cover and chill.
Serving Size: 4 people
2. Korean Fried Chicken Sandwich with Spicy Chili Aioli and Kimchi Slaw
• 1/4 cup (60mL) soy sauce
• 1/4 cup (60mL) chopped fresh cilantro
• 2 tsp. (10mL) President’s Choice® Black Label Peri Peri Spice Blend
• 4 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
• 1 Tbsp. (30mL) fresh lime juice
• 1 tsp. (10mL) chopped fresh ginger
• 4 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
• 2 cups (500mL) buttermilk
• 2 cups (500mL) all-purpose flour
• 1 tsp. (5mL) fresh black pepper
• 1/2 tsp. (2mL) Kosher salt
• 4 eggs, beaten
• 4 cups (1L) corn flakes, crushed
• Peanut or vegetable oil (for frying)
• 4 white sandwich buns, toasted
• 2 cups (500mL), heaping, finely shredded green cabbage
• 1 cup (250mL) kimchi, sliced
• 1/2 cup (125mL) matchstick carrots
• 1/4 cup (60mL) mayonnaise
• 1 Tbsp. (30mL) rice vinegar
Spicy Chili Aioli
• 1/2 cup (125mL) mayonnaise
• 1 garlic clove, finely grated
• 2 Tbsp. (30mL) President’s Choice® Memories of Seoul Gochujang Spicy Chili Sauce
3. Tandoori Spiced Chicken and Sweet Potato Burritos
• 2 Tbsp. (30mL) President’s Choice® Liquid Coconut oil
• 8 boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1″ pieces
• 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
• 2 sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into ½” dice
• 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/4″ dice
• 1 red pepper, cut into ½” dice
• 2 cloves of garlic, minced
• 2 Tbsp. (30mL) grated ginger
• 1 small red chili, thinly sliced
• 2 Tbsp. (30mL) mustard seeds
• 2 Tbsp. (30mL) President’s Choice® Black Label Tandoori Spice Blend
• 1 tsp. (5mL) turmeric
• 1 pint cherry tomatoes, cut in half
• ½ a bunch of fresh coriander
• 12 pieces President’s Choice® Tortillas
Minted Cucumber Yogurt (makes 2 cups (500mL))
• 1 cup (250mL) natural yogurt
• ½ a bunch of fresh mint, finely chopped
• Juice of ½ a lemon
• 1 cm piece of ginger, grated
• 1 small cucumber, seeded and grated
• Salt and pepper
• In a large sauté pan over medium high heat add some olive oil and the chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 3-4 minutes until just cooked.
• Remove to a bowl.
• Return the pan to the stove and add the sweet potatoes and onion and cook until just soft.
• Add the eggplant and pepper and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
• Add the garlic, ginger, chili, curry powder, turmeric and stir together well.
• Return the chicken to the pan and tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
• Remove from heat and mix in chopped cilantro.
• Mix all of ingredients for the minted cucumber yogurt together and season well.
• Spoon chicken mixture into tortillas and top with minted cucumber yogurt.